Driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Illinois are serious offenses. There are grave consequences such as jail, convictions, fines, suspensions, and revocations of driving privileges, as well as the impact to your employment, insurance, education, and personal freedoms if convicted. Whether you are a first-time or multiple offender, drunk driving charges should not be taken lightly.
The State of Illinois drunk driving laws start with the .08 percentage blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit. Like all states across the country Illinois prohibits driving with a .08 percent BAC or above. If you are under 21 years of age in Illinois there is a “Zero” tolerance for alcohol and driving. The penalties for a DUI conviction are severe and can vary widely. It is important to act quickly if you are charged with a driving under the influence. You need to contact attorney Ramon A. Moore immediately at 312.332.5134 if you’ve been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. A DUI charge alone can immediately impact your reputation and livelihood.
Possible Penalties for an Illinois DUI Conviction
- Drivers under the age of 21 convicted of a DUI offense face immediate revocation of driving privileges.
- First time offenders face a six-month automatic license suspension and misdemeanor charges with potential imprisonment of up to one year and fines up to $2,500.
- Repeat offenders or offenders who do not possess a valid license could face felony charges, where they could be sentenced up to 3 years in prison.
- Drivers with a blood alcohol level of 0.16% (BAC) or more can face a more severe sentence.
- If a child is in the car with an intoxicated driver, the penalties increase considerably.
What can an experienced Illinois DUI attorney do for you?
The short answer is a lot. Attorney Ramon A. Moore is a skilled in the DUI and DWI field. He will to accomplish the following in defending your case:
- Analyze scientific accuracy of your blood test
- Analyze scientific accuracy of your breath test
- Analyze scientific accuracy of any chemical testing
- Determine whether your field sobriety tests were administered properly
- Evaluate the legality of your traffic stop by police
- Examine your case’s evidence closely
- Provide you with the best chance of avoiding DUI or DWI conviction
- Retain qualified expert witnesses to build a strong defense and attack prosecution’s case
- Review whether your rights were fully explained